Water Damage Tips
When dealing with an incidence of water damage or flooding in your home, the last thing you need to be doing is spending hours researching every detail of the water mitigation and restoration process. Highlighted below are a few essential tips to remember before beginning any water damage restoration project.
- Time is of the Essence: Once water damage has occurred, you have 24 – 48 hours to address the water damage before mold and mildew begin to grow. This mold may pose a health risk to your family, as well as cause an unnecessary additional headache for you during what is already stressful time.
- Safety First: Before you begin any remediation, ensure that you are not endangering yourself or others. Consider if it is safe to be in the house before starting to conduct any restoration activities yourself.
- Document Damage: Be sure to take plenty of photos of the affected area(s) before beginning any water damage remediation. Catalog lost items, along with their value, for your insurance company.
- Remove Affected Materials: This includes the disposal of floor coverings; carpet, cushion, pad, felt and sheet vinyl, laminate, or tile flooring materials. Remove wet items and clear the floor to mitigate damages.
- Call in the Experts: Call SERVPRO of West Knoxville at 865-690-9658 for live help 24/7 from one of our supervisors. When you make a call, day or night, you talk to an experienced professional that can help you in understanding the water damage cleanup process. We’re here to help make the best of a stressful situation!